A visitor visa is also known as a temporary resident visa. It is an official document that the Canadian Embassy sticks in your passport. It confirms that you meet the conditions needed to enter Canada.

Most tourists or travellers need a visitor visa to travel to Canada. You may also need one if you’re transiting through a Canadian airport on your way to your final destination.

You can apply for a visitor visa online or on paper, and you can stay for up to 6 months in Canada.

For all others, provide proof of financial support to cover the expenses for the duration of your visit: 

  • Copies of bank statements or bank book covering the past three months. 
  • Any additional relevant documentation (employment letter, payslips, proof of pension, business registration, investments, etc.) 

If you are not paying for your own trip: 

  • Provide a letter signed by the person paying and a photocopy of their passport, or other official identification with photo and a bank certificate proving that they have sufficient funds. 
  • Describe how this person is related to you. 
  • These documents must be dated within three months of the date on which the application is submitted.

Visiting family or friends: 

If you are employed: 

  • A signed letter on company letterhead from your employer granting leave of absence. This letter must include the following information: your name and position; your current salary; your date of hire; your employer’s name, address and telephone number. 

If you are a student traveling outside of school holidays: 

  • An original letter from your school confirming that you are enrolled and in good standing and that the school has approved your absence.

Information on the inviter in Canada: 

  • Letter of invitation indicating the purpose and duration of the visit; 
  • A list showing the number of people in the inviter’s household; 
  • A copy of the inviter’s immigration status or citizenship documents;
  • Proof of inviter’s income and financial situation including but not limited to Notice of Assessments (NOA), T1 or T4, employment letters, pay stubs, bank statements; 
  • If the inviter is a student, a letter of acceptance or good standing from the school. 
  • If visiting family, proof of relationship with the inviter (examples: copy of a birth certificate, copy of marriage certificate, etc.).


  • Detailed travel itinerary and hotel booking.